It’s a bold decision that came quickly, and in its wake has been a flurry of information and questions. Here are just some of the topics surrounding the Udoka suspension.
• While the relationship between Udoka and the staff has been consensual, it has not always been smooth and may have quickly become a problem for the Celtics, as reported by The Athletic’s Shams Charania.
Some members of the Celtics organization first became aware of the relationship in July, sources said. At that point, the team leadership was led to believe by both parties that the relationship was consensual. But sources said the woman recently accused Udoka of making unwanted comments towards her, prompting the team to launch a series of internal interviews.
• Celtics legend Paul Pierce came in saying that the franchise came down too hard on Udoka – and then he got hammered on Twitter for that take.
• Udoka’s future with the Celtics remains unclear, whether they’re asking him to return or whether he wants to. However, Udoka will have options – when other coaching positions become available next year, expect those teams to contact Udoka to gauge his interest, something Adrian Wojnarowski highlighted on ESPN.
• Although not a fan name, new interim/head coach Joe Mazzulla is popular with the Celtics players. here’s what Jayson Tatum had to say about him last spring, via Chris Forsberg at NBC Sports Boston.
“I love Joe,” Tatum said. “I think just being around him shows how passionate he is about the guys and his craft. He got so much more knowledge, more detailed, just vocal. More comfortable in his role as a coach. You have seen a growth from his freshman year.
“He’s helped me a lot as a player and as a person. I can’t say enough good things about Joe. Everyone appreciates him, what he brings to this team. I’m glad we have him.”
It’s also from Fox Sports.
The players took him,” said Scott Morrison, a Celtics assistant at the time and Mazzulla’s head coach during his time with the Red Claws. “He tells them what it is without being abrasive and in my experience players love that. They like to be coached.”
• He may be loved, but Mazzulla, 34, is being thrown in the deep end – his only experience as head coach was at Fairmont State in West Virginia, a Division II school. That could lead the Celtics to bring in an accomplished, veteran NBA coach as Mazzulla’s assistant. One name to watch out for: Frank Vogel, according to Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix.
• The Celtics media day is Monday, followed by the start of training camp the following day. The Celtics open the season on October 18 against the Philadelphia 76ers.
Here’s more about the Celtics
Celtics suspends coach Ime Udoka for entire season for ‘violations… Reports: Celtics’ Udoka may face extended ban for inappropriate… Celtics’ Robert Williams out for 4-6 weeks, misses preseason after…
More Details, Questions Emerge After the Celtics Udoka Suspension Originally Appeared on NBCSports.com